Friday, January 1, 2016

PayDay 2015

Once again, it's that time of year, Peeps-- Running Payday!

Umm. . .No.  Not this kind of Payday.

This kind.  Where I get cash money.


This is the time where I tally up my miles, my racing miles, and my PRs and I PAY MYSELF FOR THEM!!!  This is how it works:

I pay myself $.50/running mile, $1.00/racing mile, and $5.00/PR.  The catch is that I deduct all racing fees and babysitting fees for racing.  The good news is that I didn't need a babysitter this year because my kids are finally old enough to watch themselves.  Envy me, mothers of young kids.

Here are the numbers:

105.3 racing miles

1158 overall miles

6 PRs

I subtract the racing miles from the overall miles:

1158-105.3= 1052.7 non-racing miles

I multiply the money amounts by each mile.  In this case, I just needed to divide the running miles by two (since it's 50 cents/mile).  Then I add the dollar amounts together:

1052.7/2=  $526.35 + $105.3= $631.65

Looks awesome, right?  Except now I need to calculate my racing fees:

racing fees= $585  OUCH.

I subtract the racing fees from the overall pay:

631.65-585=  $46.65

Then I add my PR bonus:

6 PRs x $5.00 = 30.00 + $46.65 =  $76.65




This is about half of what I earned last year, even though I ran more miles, because I also ran more races, and some of them (I'm looking at YOU, Ragnar Trail WV) were expensive.  That's ok, though, because any year that I break even is a good year.

What do I do with the money?  I have a special running savings account where I stash the money, and I plan to use it someday for the Paris Marathon.

Someday this will be me, running down the Champs-Elysées.

My annual payday is a nice little incentive I use to get through those days when running isn't my favorite thing to do.  Also, it is a great way to invest in my health, physical and mental.  I am worth the time and effort I spend to run, and finishing in the black at the end of the year proves it to me.

How do you reward your fitness?

Happy New Year, Peeps!  Run happy!

Like what you read?  Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!


No comments:

Post a Comment