Sunday, October 20, 2019

Race Recap: Crowell Hilaka

I have been in a funk since before the Akron Marathon. Marathon training is tough and long, and I ran two marathons and a 50K between April and September.  That is a lot of miles. The remedy to this should be letting go of the miles, but Fall weather is FINALLY here, and it is my favorite season to run. I'm still not really having fun.

On Saturday, I ran the Crowell Hilaka trail half marathon at the Richfield Preserve, and I found some mojo that had been hiding on the trail.  It was a great time.

Crowell Hilaka is a donation-or-volunteer race; you either donate money for your entry, or you volunteer with the group to clean up the trails.  Either way, it's a good place to put your money or time. The donation money goes towards the efforts to maintain the trails, so I feel good knowing that I'm not out there just using up resources without giving back. The park is a former Girl Scout camp; before that it belonged to the Kirby family (yep, the vacuum people). Last year I swept for this race, so I knew what it would be like, remnants of scout camp buildings and fire pits, beautiful trails, a lake, and houses (and a water wheel!) that used to belong to the Kirby family. It's a really interesting course with something different every couple of miles.

I like that I was able to roll in about an hour before the start time and collect my bib and t shirt. No worries about parking or bathrooms because there was plenty of both. I spent the time finding every trail friend I've ever seen.
I'll bet you recognize fellow Cleveland Marathon Ambassador Pam. We are always taking pictures together at the start. Then she blows me away.


This was a Trail Sister race, and boy, did we show up as runners and volunteers!


Lots of Trail Sisters today!
We started in the back, chatting. After about a mile, I started feeling a little bit perky. The sun was shining through the trees, and the course doesn't have any really sharp inclines, so I was able to continue my momentum of running, and I started to feel very good. I decided to run alone for a while and see if I wanted to push my pace at all.  The first loop of six miles passed very quickly (for me on a trail), and I enjoyed every second of it. I grabbed more food than I should have from the aid station and moved on.

Around mile 10 I started getting a bit tired, and that is when I spotted Giovanna, who I seem to see at just about every trail race. We started chatting and decided to finish together. With her the last three miles were great, especially since we both agreed to walk the steep parts of the last mile (which is pretty much all uphill).

The finish was a trail PR for me, and honestly, because I am a sick, sick person, I'm kind of mad at myself for not pushing a little harder.

This is EXACTLY how I look when I'm kind of mad at myself for not pushing a little harder.
There were lots of plans for post-race celebrations, but I had to excuse myself to spend 4 1/2 hours selling 50/50 raffle tickets for my kid's band invitational. I'm not complaining.  I'm not.

In short, this race made me want to do more and be a better runner. I'm already making plans to get in more speedwork and cross training because this is definitely something I've been lacking.

Kudos to Jennifer Douglas and Matt Force, who are great Race Directors!

Where did you find your running mojo this week, Peeps? No matter where you are, I hope you run happy!


Like what you read? Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @itibrout!

No comments:

Post a Comment