Sunday, February 18, 2018

Why Did I Ever Take a Break? Why?

After two marathons, a 16.5 mile leg at Burning River, and several half marathons and assorted other races, I decided at the end of my season to take a break. I told myself that if I continued my high mileage, I would burn out both physically and psychologically, so I allowed myself to back off the running and do other things that I enjoy. Starting in November I substituted some of these workouts instead of short runs:

Tae Bo. Oh, Billy Blanks, you make my heart go pitter pat.
Masala Bhangra Dance. This is EXACTLY how I look when I do Indian Folk Dancing. Notice how both my feet magically lift from the ground. Damn, I'm graceful.
I kept my long run at no more than 10 miles, and most of my long runs were on the trails with the Burning River Goddesses.

Here I am with some Goddesses. . .Oops. We aren't running here. We are posing. Let me try that again.
Here I am freezing my TRAIL off (see what I did there?) with some Goddesses.
I think it was a good thing for me to let go a little bit, but now I'm training for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, and shit just started getting real. Today I ran 14 miles--4 miles solo and 10 more with Mandy--and it just about killed me. I remember when 14 miles was my minimum long run, and I breezed through it. Not today.

I'm trying to think about why it felt so hard. Aerobically, I felt great. My legs didn't hurt at all. My feet didn't hurt at all. I just think it's hard to get that mileage in all at once. I tend to bore easily, so even though Mandy is excellent company, I couldn't get in the zone I needed to enjoy the run. That is where the mind games started. Incentive #1 was the banana I ate after my first 4 miles while I waited for Mandy. Incentive #2 was the Mint Chocolate GU I had at Mile 9, but even moreso it was the promise of walking while I fueled. After that point it got a lot more difficult, so I had to give myself more incentives. Incentives #3 and #4 were short walks for the first .10 of Miles 11 and 12.

I got it done, but I feel wrecked. I'm back to those days where I took a two hour nap after the long run (well, I will be there after I finish this post).

Starting over. SMDH.

It's worth it though, Peeps. In three months I'll be running one of the funnest races in my season: The Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon. Will you join me? Register by clicking here, and use my code, SICLE10, for 10% off whatever races you choose, including the challenge. Train with me! Tell me I'm not alone! Also, tell me that I still look beautiful, even when my face is red and I'm sweating like a pig.

However you feel during your training, I hope you run happy, Peeps!

Like what you read? Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @itibrout!Bur

No comments:

Post a Comment