Monday, July 25, 2016

Baptized in Blood

I had my first real fall on a trail.  Oh, sure, I've tripped plenty of times, but the reality is that I'm so scared of falling that I don't take chances on the trail.  This time I don't know what the heck happened.  Shelby, Sydney, and I were about 3 miles in on a super-hot, humid 10 miler starting on the Wetmore Loop.  Everything seemed to be fine, and then it was not.  I felt myself trip, and I could tell that I wasn't going to be able to right myself this time.  So weird--I felt as if I were falling in slow motion, slow enough to talk myself through it: Ok, you're going down.  Don't brace with your hands. Don't face plant. Roll when you hit the ground.  



As you can see, I learned how to fall from the best. I did manage to roll rather than skid, and I avoided face contact, so I think I came out pretty well.  I bruised my shoulder, elbow, and one finger, and I have gouges on my shoulder and knee.

This is EXACTLY how I looked when I fell.



I didn't take pictures because. . .gross.  Also, as far as badges of honor go, this wasn't that big of a deal, thank goodness.

So now, I am officially a trail runner, baptized in blood.

This was a fallback week, with nine miles of trail running, but next week the mileage goes up again.  Will I make it?  Will Shelby have to pull me by my hair?  Will I remain a ray of sunshine?  Stay tuned to find out. Until then, run happy, Peeps!

Like what you read?  Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!

No comments:

Post a Comment