Tuesday, September 18, 2018

20 Miles in. . . Let the Taper Begin!

Huh. So this was a post I started a week and a half ago, Peeps. I don't know why, but I never hit the publish button. Enjoy!


Saturday was a busy day. I knew it would be a busy day, so I cleaned my bathrooms Friday evening after I got home from work and before I took my son to the football game to watch my daughter march.
This is EXACTLY how I look when I clean the house before the football game. . . in the 1950s.


Actually, this is EXACTLY how I look when. . .AHAHAHAH!  I can't even write it! No. Just. No.

I woke up early on Saturday to pouring rain. This was the morning of my 20 miler for the Akron Marathon. Great. I almost went back to sleep (something I am rarely tempted to do), but I got up and made breakfast. The rain let up a bit, so I kept going with my pre-run routine (coffee, bathroom, etc.).

It's raining in my soul.


I was a bit nervous about running the Blue Line for 20 miles because my Trail Sisters (at least those who are willing to run roads with me) were in Hell. . .Michigan, that is, for the Woodstock Race Series. I didn't go because I didn't want to miss Vertical Runner's Blue Line Training Run (or my 30th year high school reunion). Anyway, I didn't officially have someone with whom to run.  I tested out a few people:

Me to Jennifer: What's your pace today?
Jennifer: I plan to run the 20 in a 12 mile pace.
Me: Yeah, bye.

Me to Cassie and Beth: So, are you doing the 20 miler or the 12?
Cassie: Well. . .we're not really. . .
Me: Yeah, bye.

No worries. I ran with my friend Deb for a while, and then I decided to run alone, but there was always someone I knew or someone with whom I could chat along the way, so I wasn't LONELY.

I went really slowly, and I told myself that the only goal was to get this done without killing myself.  I stopped at all the aid stations, run by wonderful volunteers who braved the yucky rain--THANK YOU!

In the last 3 miles, I saw Tamra, my running partner from Burning River, and we ran together until the end, which was very nice.

In the past, I have felt very defeated after the Blue Line Practice Run, but today I felt. . .fine. Not great, not terrible.  I think this is a good sign; I've respected the training, and my expectations are realistic.
I even mustered up a smile!

Ok, so I have about a week and a half to go before the Akron Marathon, and the tapering hasn't been too terrible. I've cut down my mileage by about a third last week, and this week will probably be the same.

Last Sunday I ran the Race with Grace 5k, and that review will be my next post.  Until then, Run Happy, Peeps!

Like what you read? Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!

No comments:

Post a Comment