Sunday, November 1, 2015

Running Re-Connections

This week was a time for me to re-connect. . . with mileage and with people.

I have decreased my mileage since I haven't been training for anything in particular, and I thought that if I want to achieve my end-of-year mileage goal, which is 1,100 miles, I need to pick it back up. My first (reluctant) re-connection was with my treadmill.  I like the fact that I can watch tv while I run, but I don't like the fact that I can't really hear all the dialogue.  Is it because I'm old, or is it because tv shows are so weird about volume?  I turn the volume up to listen to someone who constantly whispers, and the next second I'm scrambling for the remote because there are a bazillion explosions.  Crazy.

Seriously, why you guys gotta be so quiet and then so loud?


My second re-connection was with my high school and college friend, Fred.  I have been following his running progress on Facebook, and after some of my nagging, he agreed to meet me on Saturday for a short run at Sand Run Park.

This is where we ran.  It is my favorite part of Sand Run Park.


This is EXACTLY how I look when I run with a good-looking guy.
We hadn't seen each other in twenty-five years, but when we started running, it was like we had never disappeared from each other's life.  Running really is the great connector.

My third re-connection this week was with Shelby and Jen, with whom I've done plenty of cold-weather Sunday runs.  Today was not cold; it was a sunny fifty-something degrees, and we ran loops at Hudson Springs Park.  Shelby hasn't been running lately because she is recovering from her badass run at the Akron Marathon, and I haven't seen much of Jen either.  It was great to run around the lake and through the woods while we picked up right where we had left off on our last run together.  I don't have a picture of us from today, but here is a reminder of how we all look:

This is EXACTLY how we look when the sun is in our eyes.  Now that I think about it, this is EXACTLY the same outfit I wore today, except that day I accidentally wore two different shoes.
Re-connecting with my friends helps me to re-connect with my love of running.  I realize that I don't always have to run my hardest; sometimes it's nice to chat.  I'm lucky that I have so many running friends who are willing to chat with me.

Do you have a set of running buddies?  Do you ever feel the need to re-connect?

Next week is the second race in the Ohio Outside Series.  I'll let you know all about it.  Until then, run happy, Peeps!

Like what you read?  Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!

No comments:

Post a Comment