Sunday, May 25, 2014

Step It Up!

Today I decided to forgo a shorter long run (tapering) for a stair run with the Towpath Turtles.  We met at the William McKinley Monument in Canton to run the steps.   I first did this workout with the Turtles two years ago, and I love it now.  Notice I said NOW.  I remember arriving in the parking lot to see this:

This doesn't look nearly as scary as when you are at the bottom of the steps looking up.
First we warmed up with a two-mile run.  As we ran, I told the new Turtles that if I could enjoy this workout, anyone can.  It's the pain I feel a few days later that I don't enjoy.  I figured that I could do lots of yoga this week to recover, and I can shake out the legs with two short runs before the Medina Half Marathon on Saturday.  After the warm up run, we got down (or UP) to business:

This looks more intimidating, right?

We did ten laps up and down the steps, with an interval around the parking lot on laps 5 and 10.

To me, it's scarier to go down than up.
One thing I have learned, thanks to Sheila, the coach of the Turtles and One Life Coaching, is that it is so important to build in strength and general fitness in my running routines.  Of course, I would have burned more calories doing my traditional long run, and it would have felt easier, but running stairs --and yoga and lifting weights and core-building and strength training-- it all pays off in the end.  I will be so happy that I chose to mix up my workouts when I hit mile 11 of the Medina Half Marathon.  That is when I will remind myself that my body is strong and ready and I should trust my training.

I am not sure that I will ever be HAPPY that I choose to do planks and push-ups, but again, trust in the pay-off.

Have a happy Memorial Day weekend.  Let us all take time this weekend to remember the brave men and women who gave their lives for our freedom.



Like what you read?  Follow me on Twitter @itibrout


No comments:

Post a Comment