Tuesday, November 26, 2013

It Sucks to be Old. . .so I've Heard.

Yesterday I had yet another visit with my orthopedist.  She has a vacation home in the Keys, so I'm sure I have many more visits ahead of me.

The foot is still broken.  Curse you, Fifth Metatarsal!  Curse you, Spring Nut!  I have had this broken bone since August 4th, and I am moving from impatience to fear to hopelessness.

As God is my witness, I will never step on a nut again!


"Is it possible that I won't be able to run anymore?" I tearfully asked the doctor.

She winced.  "You should never ask a doctor if anything is possible.  Of course it's possible.  Do I think that will happen?  Probably not."  Last time I talked with her she had said she didn't think I'd need surgery either. . .look what came of that.

I have a CT scan in two weeks and a followup to interpret the results the week after that.  The doctor says the fact that I have very little pain is favorable, and she would like to allow the foot to heal on its own, even as slowly as it's going.  If the scan shows that the foot is not going to heal, and I don't know how someone can get that information from a scan, then I will have no choice--surgery it will be.

This is EXACTLY how my foot will look after surgery.
Looks like the Cleveland Half and the Medina Half may be out.  I wonder if Akron will let me defer another year?

I wonder if I can get police protection for my loved ones?  How will they survive this?


No comments:

Post a Comment