Friday, August 30, 2013

It's Not Good.

Let me apologize to you in advance: this is not a happy post.  I just returned from the orthopedist.  I'm really disappointed.

Hold still; this won't hurt a bit.


Ok, it's not that bad, but I'm pretty upset.  The doctor said that the fracture is still visible after four weeks of being in the boot.  I have at least two more weeks in the boot, and I'm not allowed to do ANY exercise involving my foot.

Me:  What about yoga?

Doctor:  Well, you could. . .no.

Me:  Aqua jogging?  I promise I won't touch the bottom of the pool.

Doctor:  No.  That will keep you from healing.  In fact, that will lead to surgery.

Me:  Swimming?

Doctor:  Uh-uh.

Me:  Can I run the Akron Marathon at the end of September?

Doctor:  Oh God, no!  That was never in the cards!  You need WEEKS before you can even start PT.  You won't even be able to think about running until November.

At that point I started fiddling with my boot so she couldn't see the tears in my eyes.

I realize that I have first-world problems.  I do.  I came home to my family basically telling me to Suck-it-up-Buttercup-and-take-care-of-us, and I just don't think I can today.  Jesus, I've been trying to be a ray of sunshine for weeks now; I need a day to mourn.
1.  I can't run the race I look forward to the most during the year, the Akron Half Marathon.
2.  I already paid for my bib, so I lost my money.
3.  I won't be able to run the Columbus Hot Chocolate, which is my only destination race.
4.  Running was my stress therapy.  I am having a difficult time keeping my head together.  I have been miserable since I broke my foot.  I don't know if I can continue like this for another two months.

I'm telling you this because people have been so kind, asking about my foot and wishing me well.  I hope to be able to overcome this setback, but right now I see black clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment