Sunday, May 5, 2013

Pace? Isn't That Salsa?

I am trying to figure out my pace goals for this year.

Today I ran some Pre-Turtle miles with Leigh, who is about half my age and at least sixty pounds lighter than I am.  She just finished a 24-hour endurance race the previous weekend, so I thought that I would have no problems keeping up with her.  It's like lunging a horse before you ride him, right?  You wear him out, and then he's docile enough for you to deal with him.  Keep in mind that this is only a theory.  I used to own a horse, and lunging never stopped that evil son-of-a-bitch from trying to scrape me off under every tree on our property.


This is EXACTLY how my horse looked.  The fire made it very painful to ride him.


Ahem.  Anyway.


Leigh's idea of "taking it easy" was a nine minute mile.  Then she casually turned to me and said, "So, how's it going lately?"

I gasped and sputtered a reply until I realized that IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS HARD!!!  "Leigh, I'm like your mom or something; you've got to SLOW DOWN or I'll have a heart attack."  She obliged, and we settled on a 9:30/mile, but my body wasn't happy about it.  Luckily for me, poor Leigh wasn't feeling very well, so at mile 3.5 she said she was turning around and walking, and I could keep going to the turnaround and catch up to her on the way back.  I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized that I could run my 9:50/mile and no young whippersnapper would be pushing my ass on the path.  I turned around at 4.5 miles and caught up to her about two miles from the end, at which point, thoroughly rested(Leigh), we started the same crazy pace as before.

I am thankful to have survived.

So, now I am trying to figure out my pace goal for the Medina Half Marathon on May 25th.  My pace for Akron was 10:22/mile, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm pretty sure I can do better.  I think I can happily maintain a 10:00/mile for 13.1.  If so, I hope that my summer speed training will help me to take at least fifteen seconds/mile off that time for the Akron Half Marathon in September.

Then I will race Leigh.










No comments:

Post a Comment