Saturday, January 12, 2013

I Suspect I Got Screwed.

Here I was, all happy and badass because I decided to sign up for the Canton Hall of Fame City Challenge Half Marathon.  Last year I ran the 10k for the inaugural Canton Marathon, and I LOVED it.  Well, I loved it while I was drinking beer and eating Fritos; while I was running it I was thinking, "One more frigging hill and I'm going to upchuck."  Runners are weird, right?



Canton Marathon medals--They weigh a gazillion pounds!


So, I received several Facebook updates and emails to my private account from the Canton Marathon (or so I thought), telling me to switch my page likes and email preferences to the Hall of Fame City Challenge, as it would be the replacement for the Canton Marathon.  On New Years Eve, a really sweet deal opened for the half marathon:  50 bucks.  I waited a week, and I snapped up the next deal:  55 bucks.  This is the same price I paid for the Akron Half for 2013 (I signed up as soon as I came home from the race).

Now, I have seen reports from the North Canton Patch about the partners for the Marathon, who are apparently involved in a royal pissing match.  Here is the letter to the editor written by one of the partners:


Julia Dick says, "Sorry, suckas."

She has decided to continue with the Canton Marathon, scheduled the DAY AFTER the Hall of Fame Challenge.  Great.  I emailed the partner with the Hall of Fame Challenge, and I haven't received a response.

Will I be running a half marathon on June 15?  At this point, I am an optimist.  I would like to believe that I will either be running a race, or I will get my money back.  My running friends shake their heads, smile, and say, "That's a good way to think about it."


1 comment: