Sunday, March 2, 2014

Why Am I Running?


This could be the opportunity for me to write a deeply philosophical post about the joys, challenges, and sorrows of running.  It could be, but it isn't.  I've already done that HERE and HERE.



This is EXACTLY how I look when I experience the joys and challenges of running.


This is EXACTLY how I look when I experience the sorrows of running.


It could be the post where I write about the camaraderie of a running club and how my running peeps keep me going.  It could be, but it isn't.  I've already done that HERE.


This is EXACTLY how I look when I'm experiencing camaraderie.

No, this post has nothing to do with these topics about running.  Why am I running?

Because. . .

I'm racing a train!



The Cuyahoga Valley Railroad: AKA My Racing Competitor


On Sunday, March 23, I'll be running for 10 miles along the Towpath, trying to beat a train.  Both the train and I (and hundreds of other runners) start at 10:10, and the train is scheduled to make it to the turnaround at 10:55.  Can I make it?

I am a bit nervous about this race because I haven't hit ten miles in my recovery yet.  I can do eight right now, so I believe I can get to ten before the race.  Can I average a nine-minute mile right now?  I don't think so, but you never know.  Recovery has been slow because of the terrible weather, but I'm hoping to kick it up a notch in the next couple of weeks.  Let's just say that I'd like to survive the race.

This race is just what I need to kick myself in the butt.  It will be a fun opportunity to get back into the racing season, and best of all, the proceeds benefit the Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park.  I am so grateful to live in an area that has so many cool opportunities for runners, and I'm glad that this fun race will give me the chance to give back a little bit.

I guess I can't flatten a train's tires, so I must now either think of other ways to sabotage that train, or sigh. . . actually train for the race.

Like what you read?  Follow me on Twitter @itibrout.


No comments:

Post a Comment