Sunday, April 15, 2018

So Sick of Running in Bad Weather

It is April, Peeps. I should NOT be running on a treadmill!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, OHIO, PLEASE STOP RAINING AND SNOWING!!!!

This is EXACTLY how I look when I'm throwing a tantrum because: Ohio weather.


Last week I had 18 miles on my to-do list for Sunday's long run. To shake things up, I decided to join a training run in the Bedford Reservation for Burning River. It was 15 miles, and I figured I could add on 3 miles pretty easily.  To make it even better, Felicia and Angela (from the Mother Runners) agreed to run with me because they also needed 18.

The weather was a problem. It was 27 degrees at the start time, but the prediction was that we would go up to the 40s or higher, so I couldn't figure out what to wear.  To make matters worse, the weather was NOT what was predicted at all. It probably didn't help that I looked up the weather WHERE I LIVE, not in the Bedford Reservation. Duh. So, we did start at about 27 degrees, and then it got colder. And colder. And then it started snowing. That was our weather for about four hours of trail running. It wasn't until about mile 16 that the sun came out, and that was glorious.

The only moment when the sun came out. These ladies are amazing!
Trail running can be challenging. Trail running in the snow (in April) for 18 miles is exceptionally challenging. I am giving us a pat on the back for being so badass.

Today I had 18 miles again, and of course it was freaking POURING outside. I decided to run the treadmill, so I made a plan, just as I would for an outside long run. I listened to  Wait, Wait! Don't Tell Me! for five miles, and then I peeked outside, where it appeared to me to be just drizzling. I changed into dry running clothes and went outside to finish the rest.

MOTHER NATURE IS A LIAR, PEEPS!

As soon as I was about a mile in, it started pouring again. I was wearing a rain jacket, but damn! I decided that I was going to power through it, so I kept going. I ran 11.3 more miles in the cold, pouring rain before I decided to call it quits. I want to thank Peter Sagal and Mo Rocca (my crush) from Wait, Wait! Don't Tell Me! for getting me through this. I didn't run 18; I ran 16.3 total, and that is just fine.

Next week I need about 19 to feel respectable. Will I do it? Stay tuned to find out!

Whatever horrible weather Ohio is throwing at you, I hope you run happy, Peeps!

Psst! Hey! Are you going to run with me for any of the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon races? Use my code, SICLE10, for 10% off any registration!  I hope to see you there!

Like what you read? Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!

No comments:

Post a Comment