Sunday, April 1, 2018

Race Recap: Fools 25K

Happy April Fools Day! Happy Easter, if you celebrate it!


It is only fitting that today I write about the Fools 25K, which I ran yesterday. This is no joke, Peeps.

See what I did there?
Many of my friends have run the Fools in past years, and until this year, I had no desire to do the same. I changed my mind because the race was moved to Camp Manatoc, and I really enjoyed running the Leave No Trace Half Marathon there. Of course, I was still trepidatious because it is a spring race, and we all know how unpredictable the weather can be for a spring race. My main concern was cold mud. I don't mind the cold, and I don't mind mud, but I don't like the two together.

The weather was chilly with a feels-like of 27 at the starting time of 8:45, but temperatures were supposed to go up to 50 degrees within a few hours. It was difficult to decide on what to wear, but because it didn't get as warm as I thought it would, I did a pretty good job with a long-sleeved tech under a winter shell with attached mitten sleeves.

The course leaves from Camp Manatoc, a Boy Scout camp that only opens its trails twice a year to runners. Runners could do two almost-8 mile loops for the 25K or four loops for the 50K (if you are a masochist). I've run the trails around Manatoc before, so I knew I was in for a treat because they are beautiful and challenging.

I got there at 8:00 and had no problems parking (which is one of my anxieties about races). There were also plenty of bathrooms (my other anxiety). Even better, runners got to wait in the heated lodge until the start. I found the Goddesses there, and we took pictures.

This is Steve, our photographer. He couldn't resist a selfie so we would give him credit.

Carrie, me, Kelleigh, Renee, Jen, Marta


We look even better close up!

The first loop was pretty busy for me. I get really nervous when I'm running on a single-track trail, and I know that there are faster people who want to pass me. I want them to pass, but I can't stop and step aside for every single runner. I try to place myself towards the back of the pack at the start, but I still sometimes get caught. This causes me to try to hang at a pace that I have no business running. I felt pretty good until Mile 4, when my tachycardia set in. My heart rate jumped to a 245, and I know this because I was wearing my heart monitor, so I walked it off until I felt better.  After that, I worked out a sustainable pace. The mud was still semi-frozen, so the first loop finished pretty well with a time of 1:50. Not bad. 

The second loop was much different. By now over 300 runners had hit those same mudspots and hills that I did, so there was lots of slipping and sliding. The frozen puddles had melted, and we were now wading through shoe-sucking goop. For two hills, I chose to slide down on my butt rather than take a chance of falling forward and knocking out some teeth. I tried to tell myself that the mud was a beauty treatment, and I was going to be gorgeous.

I had left the Goddesses early on the course, and by this time I was in my angry stage, where I question why I sign up for races at all.  I was sick of walking so much, but I had to in many spots because of the mud. There might have been some grumbling, and there might have been some swearing, but I got it done.

I got to the finish line intact and ready for some HiHo beer. I changed my clothes before I took the obligatory mud picture, but I did take a picture of my shoes.

I made Butterbean spray these off when I got home.
The Goddesses and I met up again, and we enjoyed our beer in the heated mess hall. The race directors also provided chili, salad, and cookies.

This is EXACTLY how I look when I am happy to be off the trail. I don't know what is up with my headband. My head is NOT shaped that way.
One big plus to this race is the swag: instead of a shirt, I got an enormous duffle bag, and I LOVE IT!!!
This picture doesn't do it justice, but the bag is perfect!
This race has a lot going for it: a beautiful course, great swag, cool medal, nice finisher's party at the end. I spent two hours hanging out, drinking beer, and eating cookies, and I had a good time. Ok, some of that was because I knew when I got home that I would have to clean the house. I really, really hate to clean the house.

The only wild card to the race is Ohio weather, and this year I got lucky. Will I run the Fools 25K again next year? It's possible. It fits well into my training for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, and I now have a time to beat.

Next week I up the mileage again to prepare for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon. Will you join me? Click here to register for any of the Cleveland races, including the challenge! Use my code, SICLE10, for a 10% discount on registration.  Join me, and we will drink beer and eat stuff after the race. Until then, run happy, Peeps!

Like what you read? Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!

No comments:

Post a Comment