Sunday, April 22, 2018

19 miles to Prep for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon!

I did 19 miles and change in the sun!  I was a little bit worried about going it alone, but luckily, I didn't do it alone. I had a wild turkey, a coyote, a herd of deer, a bunch of turtles, and a bunch of goats to keep me company!

Goats are more fun to watch (especially online) than they are to own. I know this from experience.
I was lucky enough to have human company, too. I knew that there were some groups starting from Hunt Farm on each half hour starting at 7:30, but all of the groups have faster runners than me, and I knew I had to go slow and steady today to reach 19 miles, so I wasn't planning on running with any of them. I pulled into the parking lot at 8:06 (late enough that I was sure there wouldn't be a group hanging out there), and I saw my friend Jennifer, who kindly suggested that I run with them. I told her that there was no way I could hang with that group since I needed 19 miles, but she is training for a 100-miler, so she said that she'd run slowly with me.

Always pick ultra-marathoners as your running partners when you have to do the long, slow distance run. That is my useful tip for you today, Peeps.

We ran seven miles in a group, and two of those miles consisted of a big-ass hill. I walked half of that hill, but I felt really good, and I wanted to run it, but I was afraid that I would tire out later as a result of too much effort in the beginning.

I peeled away from the group at the end of the seven miles, and I started my journey of twelve more miles alone (and with various animals along the way). I ran when I could, and I walked when I fueled, and overall, although it was slow for me, I felt awesome all throughout the run. I tried not to dwell on the fact that I will have to add on seven more miles in less than a month because I know I can do this. I've done it before, and I will do it again. It's a mental game, and I will win it!

Last week I ran Hampton Hills with the Crooked River Trail Runners: Outer loop + inner loop = 5 miles. Angie and I ran together, and it was a gorgeous night.

Crooked River Trail Runners: Tony, Marta, Laura, me, Angie

This gave me a total of 40 miles this week. Although none of it was actual speed work, I did make sure to run a few fast miles here and there, and I kept up with my yoga and strength training. I think I'm doing a good job of balancing the right amount of training and rest.

This is EXACTLY how I look when I smugly say that I'm doing a good job of balancing training and rest.


As for speed, next week I am running the Pro Football Hall of Fame Half Marathon, so I would like to see if I can run a smart race and maybe, just maybe come close to a PR.

How is your training going for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon? You did sign up, right?  If not, use my code, SICLE10, for 10% off registration price. I really want to see you there!

Until then, run happy, Peeps!

Like what you read? Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!

No comments:

Post a Comment