Sunday, January 21, 2018

Cold Air Sucks

I am the annoying Ohio person who always claims, "I love all seasons! I love the change of seasons in Ohio!"

I am also a high school English teacher.

These two traits combined SHOULD mean that I have been happy with the below-zero temps lately.

I am NOT happy.

This is EXACTLY how I look when I am not happy with the temperatures.
I had a just-less-than-two-week Christmas furlough from my job. That would have been amazing if I could have gone outside at any time. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate, and I ended up on my treadmill more often than not. I actually ran outside three days out of all the Christmas break days, and one of those days almost killed me.

It was a trail run with Philip's Phlyers, and I thought I was prepared, but I was wrong. I was so wrong. My first mistake (and the worst) was trying to keep up with the Phlyers. I should never have done that because they are just naturally faster than I am. That is ok with me, but I should have acknowledged that right from the beginning instead of being immature and trying to keep up.  Right away I got heart palpitations (something that hasn't happened to me in months), and I had to walk it out about a mile. It was embarrassing, but that is the price I must pay for being a dumbass.

Two of the other times I ran with Marta, and it all turned out ok because I made sure to go super-slowly.

Both of these runs were in 20-some degree weather. I must have repressed the other runs.

This week was really difficult, Peeps. I am so sick and tired of the treadmill--especially when I know that my treadmill season is probably already getting started. I can't get motivated to gear up and run, no matter the weather. I've got to get my act together.

Today was helpful. Mandy messaged me and asked if we could run together, and that made me SO PUMPED for Sunday. I'm used to being the person who organizes runs (that everyone else ignores), so I felt really special when Mandy told me she'd like to run with me.

I ran 4 miles by myself to feel out the roads, and then Mandy joined me for an additional six miles. We were able to catch up and it felt fantastic to be together again. I'm looking forward to many future training runs with Mandy. Maybe I can make her a Goddess!

Post 10 miles on slippery roads


I didn't make my minimum mileage (that I set in my own mind, Peeps) this week, but I have to be ok with that. Every week is not going to feel fantastic. I will get back on the road/treadmill and keep training.

How is your training, Peeps? Are you following the Cleveland Marathon Ambassadors to enter their giveaways for a free race?  If not, WHY NOT???? Too nervous to wait for a giveaway? Register for any Rite Aid Cleveland race (Marathon, Half Marathon, 10k, 8k, 5k, Challenge) using my ambassador code, SICLE10, for a 10% discount!  Why are you waiting?

Until then, run happy, Peeps!

Like what you read? Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!

No comments:

Post a Comment