Sunday, May 7, 2017

20 Miler!

This was my second 20 miler ever. The first was the Akron Blue Line run just before the Akron Marathon, and with the heat and the sidewalks and the concrete and the chafing. . .it was brutal.

This is the Blue Line.


This time I decided to run 20 miles on my own terms.

Normally I should have run the 20 miles last week, BUT I DO THINGS ON MY OWN TERMS; didn't you just read that? Instead I ran the Pro Football Hall of Fame Half Marathon, and yes, I know you are waiting for Part Deux of the race recap, but that isn't happening this week, ok?

A few months ago when I was running with Jen and Renee, they both volunteered to help me with the 20 miler, and they suggested I invite the Burning River Goddesses. I did, and they generously stepped up. I did a bowtie of five miles in each direction from Lock 29, and I had a crowd to help me along in the beginning.
I'm a Goddess! I'm the Goddess of NO CHILL!



Marta, who has run OVER 30 MARATHONS and is running the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, stayed with me for the full 20 miles.

We saw deer.

We saw turtles.

We saw herons.

The weather was beautiful, sunny with a chilly wind. Marta and I ran when we wanted to and walked when we needed to, and it was a great time overall.

Marta and I took a pic at the Beaver Marsh (14.44 miles in)


One thing I like about running with the Goddesses is that they are incredibly chill. We all know that I have NO CHILL WHATSOEVER, so it is important to me that I have someone to calm me down.

For the first time in a long time, I woke up this morning excited for a long run.

When we finished, I hugged Marta repeatedly and thanked her and told her how much it meant to me to have someone so experienced running with me. Then she gave me candy. WHAT????
You want this awesome Goddess with you when you run 20 miles.


So, now I am trying to relax with a recovery drink while my intuitive husband takes the kids to the mall and then to dinner so that we can have a nice dinner of steak and wine together.



Today was a good day. If the weather holds out, I feel I will be ready to tackle the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon. Will you join me? Click here to register!  Don't want to run? Try the link to volunteer; it's so fun to be in the midst of the action without having to hurt yourself.

I feel good, Peeps. I feel like I want to run. I want to run with you. Will you run with me?  I'm waiting to hear from you.

Until then, run happy, Peeps!

Like what you read? Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!


No comments:

Post a Comment