Sunday, October 4, 2015

Don't Go Chasin' Waterfalls. On Second Thought. . .

This has been my recovery week from the Akron Half Marathon.  I gave myself two easy-peasy morning runs during the week and a dreadmill trot while watching Dr. Who. I didn't think I'd like Peter Capaldi as the doctor, but I'm digging him.

How can you not like this grumpy face?

I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do for the next few months.  Running peeps tempted me with a half mary here and there, but frankly, I'm worn out.  I need some fun.

So, I decided to sign up for the Ohio Outside Trail Series in Munroe Falls Metropark.  It's a five mile loop done in October, November, and December.  These are on Saturday mornings, so I can run the race and be home in time to catch my kids in the act of NOT CLEANING THE HOUSE  like they are supposed to do.  These exact dates (plus, the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon--more on that in another post) are during mornings when I should have been attending some committee meetings (on Saturdays???  What???), so it was kind of a relief to take some time for me this year.  I don't have any expectations for these races; I just want to run and then drink cider.  My mind as well as my body is going to take a well-deserved rest.

Today, in the spirit of just having fun, I ran around Blue Hen Falls with Mandy.  The morning temperature was cool enough for a long-sleeved tech shirt and capris--my favorite running apparel.  I had never run there before, and I have to say it was beautiful.  Mandy and I hope to go back in a few weeks when the leaves have changed.


Blue Hen Falls
This run was relaxing.  It was a somewhat difficult trail, enough that I had to pay attention, but it wasn't agonizing.  After the turnaround, I got into my groove, and it felt like I was flying.

This is EXACTLY how I look after I get into my groove.
This is my moment to remember why I run and enjoy it.  I am grateful that I can run, and I'm so grateful that I live in Northeast Ohio, where there are so many gorgeous places to run.

Clearly, you can tell that I am still working a runner's high.  Don't worry; tomorrow somebody will do something stupid, and I'll be back to my old self.  Until then, run happy, Peeps!

Like what you read?  Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!

No comments:

Post a Comment