Sunday, March 29, 2015

Chicken Soup Cures Everything

Peeps, I have been so. sick.  It wasn't the flu this time; it was a cold and allergy combo.  The bad part was that I could only medicate for one of the two problems, and I chose unwisely, I guess.  I couldn't breathe, I couldn't talk, I couldn't think.  It was a great way to end the week before spring break.
This is EXACTLY how I look when I can't breathe, talk, or think.
I went to the doctor when it descended to my chest and I felt like I was wheezing.  Luckily, she said she felt I could kick it myself without antibiotics.  When I asked her about my long run the next day, she said the biggest problem would be the cold air hitting my lungs and advised me to dreadmill it.  What I heard was, "Whaa--waa-waa. . .You can run," so when Mandy asked me to run part of her 18-miler with her on Sunday morning, I was all Sure!  What can go wrong?

I'm not completely stupid; I told Mandy that if I couldn't stop coughing I was going to have to bag the run.  Then I made myself a huge pot of chicken soup.  After dinner I took some Robitussin and went to bed early.  Chicken soup + sleep = Feeling much better.

The run was fabulous!  The air was cold, but the sun was bright, and it really warmed up the Towpath.  Lots of hacking, spitting, and blowing my nose (sorry, Mandy), which actually helped me.

Halfway through the run we climbed the Wicked Stepsisters, a 1/2 mile set of hills that are part of a 5% grade.  The top of the hill was a great place to take some pictures (after blowing my nose and hacking up a lung):


View of Akron where the Towpath ends at the top of the Wicked Stepsisters

Looking back from where we came
The second half of the run was pretty speedy, as much of it was downhill, and I felt really, really good.  I was able to do ten miles with Mandy, and she continued on for her final eight in the sunshine.  I'm so glad I didn't have to bag the long run; this would have been a much gloomier post if I had.

I'm starting to get excited about my upcoming races, especially the Rite Aid Cleveland Half Marathon on May 17.

One last thing, look what I bought:

My very first pair of trail shoes!
They are bright and colorful so the snakes know to stay the hell out of my way.  Where will I be wearing these babies?  Well, let's just say I have a few plans to shake up my training this summer after I #runCLE.  More to come!

Eat your chicken soup and run happy, Peeps!

Like what you read?  Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!


No comments:

Post a Comment