Monday, February 11, 2013

Yoga Take 2--Rodney Yee




I missed my yoga on Monday.  I have no good excuse; it was my own damned fault that I stayed up too late, got only four hours sleep, and couldn't bring myself to do any yoga at all.  I suffered for it, too.  ALWAYS do your yoga after your long run!

 Today's review is of Rodney Yee's DVD:

Rodney Yee's Ultimate Power Yoga


This DVD consists of five different routines; four of them are twenty minutes each, and the fifth is fifteen minutes long.  I like this DVD because I can choose my workout based on how I feel.  If I feel particularly tight (having run ten or more miles on the Sunday-Funday run), I choose the floor routine (lots of stretching while sitting or on my back) in combination with the power restoration (lots of forward bends to stretch those calves and hamstrings).  If I feel the need to sweat, I choose the sun salutes with anything else.

One possible drawback to this DVD is the back bends routine.  Back bends hurt.  They especially hurt when I am trying to do Camel's Pose.  I am learning that modification is a good thing.  Rodney Yee is a yogi.  He can do full Camel's Pose and Bow Pose.  I am. . . not a yogi, so I should not do these poses if they hurt me.


This is EXACTLY how I look when I do sitting forward bends.


I'm still debating about signing up for the Shamrock 15k.  Despite my recent success in running without music, I don't want to race without music.  I'll probably keep debating until I get locked out of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment