Sunday, February 17, 2013

Why Do You Run?

David, from Daddy Runs Fast, wrote a few posts ago about why he runs.  Actually, he wrote about why he feels he isn't doing a good enough job expressing why he runs.  You should check out his blog; the link is in my blogroll.  You should also check out his play Double Heart (The Courtship of Beatrice and Benedick), which is absolutely FREE.  Click the link for schedule information.


Double Heart (The Courtship of Beatrice and Benedick)


I had another short-long run today: seven miles in the snow.  When I looked out the window this morning, I really dreaded the run.  It was snowing. . .again.  Stupid groundhog can't even get his shadowphobia right.  I finally suited up and left.  It was heaven.  Sometimes everything clicks into place, the scenery, the music coming up on the iPod, the breath, and all becomes right with the world.

I started this blog writing about running away from trouble.  I probably should have called it "Run away from Crazy" because that is what I do.  Running takes me one more step away from whatever is driving me nuts.  Did your Mac blow up?  Mine did.  Never mind; breathe in for three and out for three.  Are you worried that your son will grow up to be a criminal and your daughter will have an eating disorder and it's all your fault?  No comment on that one.  Concentrate on that hill; you can get to the top.  Do you worry that you are the worst teacher in the world and you are messing up your students just by trying to teach them?  I sure do.  Look at the creek.  Isn't it beautiful?  Doesn't it sound peaceful?

Running makes me realize that I am blessed.  I have a metropark practically in my back yard.  No matter how much I criticize my body, it is able to take me on long, hard runs through that metropark and beyond.  No matter how many times I say that my mind is bat-shit crazy, it is able to push me through my problems, and the problems of others, until I find the solutions.  I am strong, both physically and mentally.  I reiterate from my first post: the tears I shed when I run are almost always tears of joy.

Why do you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment