Sunday, January 6, 2013

It seems that between facebook and running blogs, I've been seeing a lot of goals for 2013. Run with Jess posted a chart with her fitness goals, and she sure has a lot of them. She also talks about preparation for her 2013 races.  David from Daddy Runs Fast evaluated his runs from 2012 and how they compared to previous years.  Several of my running buddies posted retrospectives of their 2012 running seasons (complete with medal shots) and made racing goals for 2013.

I never thought about setting any running goals for 2013; I never thought I'd be running enough to have a goal. My running club buddy suggested that I keep a running journal and gave the example goal of running 1,000 miles in one year, so I thought that was a good idea. I signed up at Dailymile.com to record my mileage and pace, and you can see the mileage tally below. As for racing goals, this is what I've decided: I want to get as close as possible to a two-hour half marathon. I've only run one half marathon (Yay, Akron!), and that was in 2:15, so I think that cutting fifteen minutes may be a lofty goal. To that end, I intend to re-join my coach's prep workshop this summer, and I will pay more attention to pace when I run. So far I've signed up for the following races:
Cleveland Rite Aid 10k (May)
Hall of Fame Challenge Half Marathon, formerly the Canton Marathon (June)
Akron Half Marathon (September)

I plan to fill in the spaces with 5k's, and I definitely intend to register for the Columbus Hot Chocolate 15k when that becomes available for November.

Someday. . . someday I will run a marathon.  I am so jealous of people who are starting their marathon training right now.   I know I will do this, but I also know that I am not ready to devote twice as much time to training as I have been doing for a half marathon.  I guess my long term goal is to run a marathon in two years.  By then I will have completed the major components of my graduate coursework, and my kids will be a bit older and more independent.  Until then I will enjoy the races I have.

I leave you with this video, which all runners will recognize as the exact truth of our lives, no matter how weird it seems to others (yes, Husband, I'm talking to you).


I am a runner. It is fun.





No comments:

Post a Comment